WRITING ZOOM WORKSHOPS
BUILDING OUR HUMAN MUSEUMS
Jaki Shelton Green
April 1, 2021
12:30 – 3:00 p.m. ET
Pocosin Art’s collaboration with North Carolina Poet Laureate Jaki Shelton Green continues with a new writing workshop, titled Building our Human Museums. In this online workshop, Jaki challenges participants to think of themselves as the curators of their own human museum, and to treat their writing instruments as excavation tools to discover hidden creative texts or buried inspiration.
Jaki Shelton Green is the third woman and first African American to be appointed as the North Carolina Poet Laureate, and is the recipient of numerous prestigious literary awards. Her publications include Dead on Arrival, Feeding the Light, and a poetry LP titled The River Speaks of Thirst released on Juneteenth 2020. Jaki teaches poetry at Duke University Center for Documentary Studies.
- Participants must have the ZOOM video platform downloaded on a computer or phone. It’s easy! Download here.
- Participants must have reliable internet access and a computer or phone with sound recording and web-cam capabilities to participate.
- Students are responsible for supplying workshop materials.
- Once registered, students will receive a video meeting code along with simple ZOOM instructions.
- Features live demonstration and the ability to ask Joshua questions. Participants will receive a recorded demonstration to use for up to 30 days.
Jaki Shelton Green, ninth Poet Laureate of North Carolina is the first African American and third woman to be appointed as the North Carolina Poet Laureate. She is a 2019 Academy of American Poet Laureate Fellow, 2014 NC Literary Hall of Fame Inductee, 2009 NC Piedmont Laureate appointment, 2003 recipient of the North Carolina Award for Literature. Jaki Shelton Green teaches Documentary Poetry at Duke University Center for Documentary Studies and has been named the 2021 Frank B. Hanes Writer in Residence at UNC Chapel Hill. Her publications include: Dead on Arrival, Masks, Dead on Arrival and New Poems, Conjure Blues, singing a tree into dance, breath of the song, Feeding the Light, i want to undie you. On Juneteenth 2020, she released her first LP, poetry album, The River Speaks of Thirst, produced by Soul City Sounds and Clearly Records. Jaki Shelton Green is the owner of SistaWRITE providing writing retreats for women writers in Sedona Arizona, Martha’s Vineyard, Ocracoke North Carolina, Northern Morocco, and Tullamore Ireland.
Add A Pocosin Arts Apron to Your Order!
Gear Up! Get a gorgeous new kelly green Pocosin Arts Apron with an adjustable strap and a large front pocket. Purchase includes shipping!